Criminal Record in New Jersey
If you have ever been arrested or charged with a crime or offense in New Jersey, you have some form of criminal record. New Jersey does not have an “automatic” removal of arrests or convictions. This is certainly problematic if you are looking for employment. You should know exactly what your record shows. In New Jersey, you are entitled to get a copy of your own criminal history. New Jersey Administrative Code (N.J.A.C. 13:59-1 et seq.) authorizes the dissemination of New Jersey criminal history record information (CHRI) by the New Jersey State Police (NJSP) for noncriminal justice purposes. Instructions on how to obtain your criminal history are online on the New Jersey State Police website. You will be required to get fingerprinted and pay a $40.00 fee. The process is as follows:
For New Jersey Residents:
- Schedule Fingerprinting: Contact Morpho Trust to schedule a time and place to have your fingerprints recorded. You can go online and make the appointment. Web scheduling is available 24 hours per day, seven days per week ; OR Call Morpho Trust: 1-877-503-5981 (Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon). Spanish-speaking operators are available upon request.
- Download Form: You must download the appropriate “Universal Form” from the State Police Website. Bring the appropriate form with you to your fingerprint appointment.
- Bring Acceptable Identification: You must bring the required identification. The identification presented MUST be one (1) document that is current (not expired). A combination of documents will not be accepted. The single document must include the following criteria; 1) Photo; 2) Name; 3) Address (home/employer); 4) Date of Birth; and
5) Issued by a Federal, State, County or Municipal entity for Identification purposes. Examples of acceptable ID are: 1) Valid U.S. State Photo Driver’s License/ Non Driver’s License, 2) U.S. Passport, 3) USCIS Permanent Resident ID Card (issued after 5/10/2010), and 4) USCIS Employment Authorization Card (issued after 10/31/2010).
- Pay the Fee: The fee for this service is $40.00. Acceptable methods of payment are credit card, electronic debt check or money order.Any questions regarding this process can be directed to the New Jersey State Police, Criminal Information Unit at 609 882-2000 ext. 2918.
Out Of State Residents:
If you reside out of state, call the Division of State Police, Criminal Information Unit, (609) 882-2000 Ext. 2918. They will supply you with a package, including a fingerprint card and full instructions.
Once you obtain a copy of your own record and have an idea of what is on it, you should speak with a Burlington County Criminal Lawyer about how to handle future job interviews, applications and whether you can have your record “expunged”.